As the mobile cloud proceeds to engulf the technology world, the biggest challenge that the IT world faces today is: how to produce high-quality, reliable and robust mobile software. This is an era where technical complexity is ever growing and pressure from competitors is tremendous. Add the cost factor to the enormous operation of creating software and testing it, and the challenge mounts to an unprecedented level.
Mobile Automation has proved a very cost-effective way out to reduce QA costs without compromising on the quality of software. It provides testing efficiency and reduces time to market, thus keeping you ahead of the competitors.
You can test mobile apps instantly and effectively through mobile automation testing. Once the test cases have been automated, they can be executed quickly and repeatedly — over and again. In almost all of the cases, automated regression testing is the most cost-effective method for regression testing of software products that usually have a long maintenance life. In fact, test automation of any mobile app is the best way to increase the effectiveness, efficiency and coverage of the testing process. The true benefit of mobile automation testing comes not only from the repeatability of tests, but also from the ability to execute tests that probably could not even be performed manually.
The value test automation brings
Let’s look at how test automation can improve the entire application development process and add value to it:
- Assets and associated costs: The time to automate, people who automate, tools used for automation, infrastructure and training costs will all come at a price. But unlike manual tests, once created, automated tests will not cost extra for running again and again.
- Development and testing integration: Unlike manual testing, re-testing an app through automation for every change made is much faster and cost savvy.
- Greater coverage: Automated tests can easily execute hundreds of complex test scenarios during each test run. This provides the kind of coverage that is not possible with manual testing.
- It is more effective: Automated testing improves business outcomes in three ways:
- Higher testing efficiency
- Greater testing effectiveness, and
- Reduced time to market
When should we start automating?
If you plan to start automation a few days before your app is about to hit the market, it’s too late! It’s key to test a whole group of components like key elements, data and functionality from day one. Here is my 4-pointer strategy:
- Always start with automating generic things: We automate many aspects of testing, which has the effect of increasing the depth and scope of testing with the goal of improving the app’s overall quality. Instead of going for complex areas, start off by first doing automation for generic areas.
- Test automation should available 24/7: Automation will reduce the time required to test new features, and the app itself, by running automation 24/7.
- Use a cloud-based platform for a truly global reach: It’s not possible to run automation suites on each and every device available on the planet. With an online cloud-based service, this problem can be solved. Running automated tests on cloud, where virtually every device is available, is easy and fast. It also provides all the information we require with all details.
Let’s start automating.